Sunday, August 26, 2007

Urban Art

Okay - so for one of my classes we had to say what urban meant to us by telling a movie, tv show, book or song that described how we felt about 'urban.' (That was a really bad sentence, but I'm tired and don't feel like fixing it.) My answers were "You Suck: A Love Story" by Christopher Moore - because when you've been turned into a vampire and you're trying to go unnoticed while searching out a cure in the city, you realize how many people abound and how involved in other peoples' lives you really are. My second choice was "Honey" with Jessica Alba - a dance teacher at an inner city community center making it big and bringing it back to her peeps - Urban Extreme!! My final choice was "Tom's Diner" by Suzanne Vega - it always made me think of the big city when I would hear it growing up . . . you couldn't really observe things happening outside a diner in suburbia - it would just be a lot of people walking in from the parking lot.

So yeah, what movie, book, television show or song defines your outlook of the urban?

6 comments:

emawkc said...

Breakin'
"'Breakin': A struggling young jazz dancer (Lucinda Dickey) meets up with two break-dancers. Together they become the sensation of the street crowds. Features ICE-T in his film debut as a club MC."

KC Sponge said...

OH Yeah - LOVE that movie!!! Definitely urban culture at its finest!! So mad I didn't come up with it . . .

Erin said...

Sex in the City - the clothes, the shoes, the lifestyle in general.

emawkc said...

Whenever I hear Phil Collin's "In The Air Tonight" I get this image of Tubbs and Crocket cruising around Miami in a Ferrari.

Slice of Pink said...

Sex and the City was my first thought, too.

Anonymous said...

Taxi Driver.

I'm taking in all the happenings in Kansas City and saving you all the trouble . . . I'll let you know whether to soak it up or squeeze it out!!